[BozemanLUG] A Linux presentation I'd like to see

gary hildebrand wa7kkp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 15:15:33 MST 2012

Well, I did use MIDI with my (cough cough) Amiga.  I found a schematic for
an interface, so I homebrewed one and it worked great.  Like you I blew for
a Casio synth that had MIDI in/out.  I used Deluxe Music and Ageis Sound
Studio and got a kick out of playing a chord on the keyboard and after a
couple seconds, it would pop up on the screen as musical notation on the
stave.  Printing was a PITA with a dot-matrix; I'm sure that's no longer a
problem with ink-jet and laser printers.

One of the Amiga's unique abilities was the sound system, using Octomed.  I
had a 4 cd set with mods and some of them were dang good, and I was
planning to record them onto analog cassette or rtr tape, and make my own
music collection.  I was also interested in using them for television
productions (end run around ASCAP royalties and copyrights).

I'd like to do the same  on Linux -- especially if there were some MOD
players that would play the Amiga mods; I can probably get a whole fistful
from www.aminet.org and other sources.  I want to build my own box (as
before) for the PC, or find something that is USB compatible, then I'd have
incentive to pick up a Casio at one of the local pawn shops for i/o.

Gary Hildebrand