[BozemanLUG] Linux Desktop Install Question

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jun 20 05:07:54 MDT 2012

Rob,

----- Original Message -----
> What I would like to do is install Linux to see if things function
> properly. The laptop is unable to boot via USB

Just out of curiosity, how old is this laptop?  Anything in the last 5 years should be able to boot from a USB device... so I'm guessing it is older than that, eh?

> So, can I install Linux Desktop on hard drive in one computer, pull
> the drive and install in other computer and then boot that computer up
> without problems?

I concur with Mike Stone... in theory that should work... since most distros now how very generic kernels and include modules for everything Linux supports... and every time the system boots, the kernel probes all of the hardware and tries to install all of the needed modules.  Linux is very dynamic that way.  Now having said all of that a few points:

1) If all of the hardware in the machine is supported by Linux you shouldn't have a problem.  If there are some hardware compatibility issues, not so much.

2) Pulling a hard drive out of a laptop can be a PITA depending on the laptop.  Some models were designed so you can easily get to things just by unscrewing one or two screws.  Others are like brain surgery where you have to remove half of the pieces before you can even see the hard drive.  What kind will you be working on?

3) Depending on how the drive is interfaced, it might be easy or it might be hard to connect it to another system to install the OS on it.  What kind of interface does it have?

4) Again, depending on the make and model of the laptop, any chance you could get a replacement optical drive at a reasonable price?  Budget laptops are so cheap these days and parts usually aren't.