[BozemanLUG] Linux Desktop Install Question

Robert Potter rpotter at zoncko.com
Tue Jun 19 20:21:30 MDT 2012

I am trying to help a friend with a laptop issue that may or may not
include a defective dvd drive. We are currently unable to boot off of
cd's/dvd's regardless of the bios change. I suspect a dead dvd drive but
since the laptop has stopped working properly in general its hard to say. I
suspect the main problem is a defective windows install although I could be
wrong. What I would like to do is install Linux to see if things function
properly. The laptop is unable to boot via USB and with it not seeing the
dvd drive we are in a tough spot. So, can I install Linux Desktop on hard
drive in one computer, pull the drive and install in other computer and
then boot that computer up without problems?  I know Windows is unable to
do this due to driver issues and such, but Linux tends to be a bit
different so am curious if this is possible.

Thank you,

Rob Potter