[BozemanLUG] Lifecycle of Scientific Linux

David Eder david at eder.us
Mon Jun 11 13:25:48 MDT 2012

I think I misunderstood the issue our sysadmin was talking about to some
extent.

I think the problem was that we would sit on a version and keep installing
it until it died.  Then we would move to the next version.  But as it was
just a couple of years newer, it would only have a couple of years left
until it would die.

I think what he was looking for was a much larger gap from one version to
another or even a rolling release.

I compared charts and it looks like both CentOS and Scientific Linux are
on the same schedule as RHEL.  And with 5 and 6 the lifetime has been
extended from 5 to 10 years.

10 years seems pretty good to me, but then again we have some ancient
servers that are approaching that age running FreeBSD 4.

If only we could get rolling releases with a solid distro from RH.

David.