[BozemanLUG] WiFi Direct . . . looking for software under either Windows (yeech) or Linux

gary hildebrand wa7kkp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:46:27 MDT 2012

Gentlemen:

I'm working on a project using a Samsung WB150 camera to relay a picture of
a target back to a computer so one can see the target close up without
having to hike 50-100 yards to see how one has done . . .

It is capable of WiFi Direct, but only if you buy the Samsung Galaxy 3
smartphone.  Geee how I hate proprietary stuff . . . !!!!

I see that Windows 8 supports WFD, but I don't want to support them any
more than necessary.  My Win7 works fine, and I definitely don't want to
'upgrade' to another bug-ridden o/s.

My goal is to get pix off of the camera without having to use a WiFi router
in the middle.  So I really need software to make my laptop look like one,
or something that gets what the camera puts out to feed my external monitor
port with a larger screen.

Lots of stuff on WiFi Direct, but almost nothing on software to implement
it right now, without waiting for Win8 . . .

If you have a long list of stuff, contact me off-list at:   wa7kkp <at>
gmail <dot> com.

Gary Hildebrand
Bozeman