[BozemanLUG] multimode electronics

Brian Vincent bvincent at moonlightbasin.com
Thu Jan 12 12:05:39 MST 2012

I've got an odd question, but I thought someone on this list might be able to help.

I went to light up some fiber this morning and discovered it's multimode and not singlemode like I thought it was.  I didn't even think to check it first since the distance is over 8700'.  Anyway, all of our electronics that we run is all singlemode, so I don't have any multimode media converters (Ethernet over multimode) to test with.   Does anyone have a pair laying I could borrow?  I have some reasons to question the integrity of this fiber, it was put in about seven years ago, so I'd rather not spend $300 on electronics only to find out I have to return them.  The distance also concerns me for pushing Ethernet - I was under the assumption multimode usually maxed out around 1500'.

Doh!  Two ST to SC  (or whatever the electronics are) multimode patch cables would be useful too... but I doubt anyone has any of those..

Brian Vincent
Moonlight Basin Technology Manager
(406) 539-0569
www.moonlightbasin.com<http://www.moonlightbasin.com/>