[BozemanLUG] Older PC hardware and older distros . .

David Eder david at eder.us
Mon Apr 18 22:38:57 MDT 2011

You inspired me.  I pulled out a 700mhz celeron laptop with 192Mb ram and
a 10G hard drive.  I installed Fedora 14 on it.  It works fine.  I'm using
XFCE4 and the desktop environment.  I can even play flv movies with no
trouble with mplayer.  This should be perfect for entertaining the kids on
those 10 hour drives to Nebraska to visit the inlaws.

Note that the installer won't work.  I installed it in a VM on a larger
box and then tar'ed it up.  I created an ext3 partition and untar the
files there.  I installed grub and tweaked it until the kernel loaded.

I did something similar to create a bootable thumb drive.  The nice thing
about this thumb drive as oppose to the ones other people make is that
there is not compressed static image with a writeable overlay.  It's much
faster.

If anybody wants one of my bootable thumb images, I'll be at the next
meeting and we can copy it.

David.