[BozemanLUG] Linux & the new Yahoo mail

Jim jimportal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 09:20:42 MDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:20 PM, R. Potter <rpotter at zoncko.com> wrote:
> Saw this article link come across twitter today.  Seems that even the web is
> being designed for proprietary OS’es only.
>

> http://ht.ly/1974UQ

FTA: "As a Linux user, this makes me very angry...and it is time to
start expressing my opinion with my wallet. Regrettably, I do not
really think that is going to be enough."

Perhaps he can start by convincing his publisher to switch up the
Flash objects on the page with something else. :D

The Yahoo Mail warning has been there since the new mail system was in
beta a year or two ago.  If I checked that mail box more than once or
twice every three to four months, it probably would be annoying.  I
really only have the account for IM contacts.

If you want some fun, start playing with your user agent strings.
Yahoo Mail includes versions for Android,  iPhones, IE, Firefox (for
Windows). The IE version requires ActiveX which is a little baffling
that they'd go all that way considering they're already implementing
solutions that would work in any browser with minor to no tweaking,
even IE.  Why spend all the time ($$) making an ActiveX version that
doesn't look or preform any different than the JS version?

Jim