[BozemanLUG] more RAID questions

Brian Vincent bvincent at moonlightbasin.com
Thu Oct 14 13:47:57 MDT 2010

I thought you could do it because you can boot from volume groups and the underlying RAID should be pretty transparent. However I'm probably finding the same documentation you've been looking at online and it seems like you have to boot from a single disk or RAID1.  I know back in the good ol' days it was definitely that way - you definitely couldn't boot from RAID5.  I thought all that changed when LVM came into play, but maybe not.

So... I forget why you didn't want to use LVM and I can't remember why you didn't want to use hardware RAID either (it's really the best way by far to do RAID.)  Scott mentioned a hardware card below, one thing to be very careful of is RAID cards that are proprietary and require a custom kernel driver to do the RAID.  Almost none of them used to work with Linux, but I bet some of them have drivers now.

Anyway, this link makes it pretty clear you can't do it:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/can-boot-be-on-a-software-raid5-array-648567/

So, my recommendation would be to throw another disk in the system for your /boot just to get it configured and running.  Then, copy your /boot to a USB key or CD-R or something and have your BIOS boot from that.   Don't forget to make a backup of your USB key or CD-R.

Brian Vincent
Moonlight Basin Technology
bvincent at moonlightbasin.com