[BozemanLUG] more RAID questions

R. Potter rpotter at zoncko.com
Wed Oct 13 22:46:57 MDT 2010

OK, I have some more questions.  All the instructions I find on line
always tell you the instructions will work for all RAID's but then they
only use RAID 1 as the base for the instructions.

As I studied my space needs, I decided I needed to maximize.  Originally
I was going to stripe two sets of 1 TB drives and then RAID 1 the two
striped sets.  But this would only give me 2 TB of storage.  Nothing to
sneeze at, but at first glance RAID 5 would give me 3 TB (4 x 1 TB).

So I started following the instructions which is when I think I hit a
snag.  the instructions have you create a new partition - the first of
which is the SWAP.  Then the next partition is set as boot-able and ext
4 file system.  This configuration makes perfect since if using RAID 0
or 1, but from what I can tell this won't work for RAID 5.

I have also seen some indication in the instructions I have found that
say boot-able cannot be RAID 5.  Some say you cannot have RAID 5 OS but
others imply that you can.

So my first question is can I have the OS, SWAP, and data storage under
RAID 5?  If so, how do I configure this?  With RAID 1 I would duplicate
the SWAP and boot-able partition but that does not make sense under RAID 5.

This server box can hold 4 drives and each drive is only allowed to be
no bigger than 1 TB in size.  So, setting up a solo drive for the OS
will cost me drive space and will prevent redundancy of the installed
OS.  If I have two drives dedicated to the OS running RAID 1 then I lose
even more needed space.

So the way I look at it, either I am missing something for setting up
RAID 5, or my only option for redundancy and max space is stripping two
sets of two 1TB drives then mirroring the two sets.  Is this my only option?

Rob Potter