[BozemanLUG] Creating a VM of a Fedora box

Brian Vincent bvincent at moonlightbasin.com
Fri May 28 19:09:12 MDT 2010

We've got a physical server running Fedora (core 9? can't remember) and we want to convert it into a VM to run on a VMWare ESXi 4.0 server.  Normally we just load up VMWare Converter, convert, and import but that's not working so well on this box.  Now, this is the first time I've used VMWare Converter 4.0 so there's some differences there.

First off, running vmware-converter-client, it says to make an image of a physical machine you have to connect to the machine as if it were remote.  Ok.. I can specify the "remote" machine ok under Step 1: Specify Source, and if I choose to "View Source Details" it properly sees the physical machine.  The in Step 2: Specify Destination it only allows for a Destination Type: of VMWare Infrastructure virtual machine, which is not what I think I want - I need to be able specify a file.

How does everyone else get their physical Linux servers onto ESXi?

Brian Vincent
Moonlight Basin Technology
bvincent at moonlightbasin.com