[BozemanLUG] August Meeting Update - OLPC upgrading

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Aug 25 08:39:51 MDT 2010

Greetings,

The Big Sky Science Partnership, which is sponsored by the MSU-Bozeman Education Dept., has ten OLPC laptops that need some work done on them.  I don't remember the exact mix (I still have to go pick them up) but they have both XO-1.0 and XO-1.5 models.  We need to get them upgraded to the latest firmware and OS release.  Caryl Bigenho did some work on them but ran into a snag and it is our job to get them all upgraded and functional.

So, this meeting will have an actual volunteer work project we want to get done.  I will develop a set of instructions for upgrading the laptops and those who attend the meeting will get to go through those instructions and actually do the upgrades.  If all goes well it shouldn't take too long... about 5 minutes per laptop.

So I'm guessing and hoping that we'll have some time left over for other things.  I don't know if Chris Ching will be attending the meeting or not but if so, perhaps he can tell us about his activities with the MSU-Lunar Excavator project (controlled by Linux and software he wrote) and about the competition they won in Florida this summer.  Chris?