[BozemanLUG] Broadband wireless and Linux?t

Anna Collins-Proper acolpro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 13:27:25 MDT 2010

Hi,,
I am the Linux user that was looking for boadband help.  I am using
Ubuntu, but must confess that without my son's help I would not be doing
much of anything.  The truth is he has been keeping me afloat (computer
wise)for more years than I care to mention.  He has just gotten his PhD
in computer science at Oregon State, and is very patient with me when I
call him for help, which is frequent

I have solved my problem.  I now have Alltel, and it's unlimited.  No
charges for going over 5GB every month.  My fear was that I wouldn't be
able to get it to work.  The guy at Alltel did the best he could (very
nice people in that store), but not knowing anything about Ubuntu he
couldn't help to get the broadband started. Luckily my son can get on my
computer from Oregon and was able to get it all working.

Previously I used wildblue.net since 2006, but it was very slow and it
froze continuously.  Wildblue were not helpful and they didn't know
anything about Ubuntu either.  Since you all know what you are doing it
is probably not a problem for you to change providers, for me it's a hassle.

I do have another question: Does anyone know anything about outside
antennas?
Thank you,
Anna Collins-Proper