[BozemanLUG] Back In Time

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Jun 2 12:21:43 MDT 2009

Rob,

----- "R. Potter" <rpotter at mypontification.com> wrote:
> I just got my latest Linux Journal magazine and stumbled on an article
> giving a brief run down on a program called "Back In Time".

For stuff I don't need history of... rsync is what I use.

For stuff I do need a history of, rdiff-backup is what I use.

There are a number of wrappers around rsync that use different directories and hard links that gives one a hybrid of a full backup and an incremental backup with a minimum of space used.

Then there is something like BackupPC which uses file pooling... so if you backup a lot of machines it will only store one copy of duplicate files across machines... and it uses the hard linking thing too... for maximum space savings.