[BozemanLUG] MySQL Question

Mike Stone mstone0802 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:43:51 MST 2009

OK, I'm feeling pretty stupid here because I've done this before several
times, and never had an issue.  Now, all of a sudden, I can't get things
working.  Here's the story.

I just built a brand new Ubuntu 8.10 LAMP server.  I'm going to be hosting
several websites from it, one of them being a Moodle site.  During the
initial installation, it asks me for a MySQL user and password.  I set that
to "mysql" as the username and "notreally" as my password (not really).
Installation finishes.  I download all the updates currently available, and
proceed to try to setup PHPMyAdmin.  I uncompress the directory, and create
the web location.  I can't login there using the "mysql" and "notreally"
information.  At the command line, and do a "sudo su" and then run mysql.  I
get this error:

Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'

OK, so I run "mysql -umysql -pnotreally".  I get this error:

Access denied for user 'mysql'@'localhost'

OK, so I run "mysql -umysql", and I'm into the mysql console.  Not sure why,
since I setup a password during the initial installation.  Wanting to fix
this, I enter this command:

set password for 'mysql'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('notreally');

I get this error:

Can't find any matching row in the user table

I'm kind of at a loss now, since I logged in with that user, and it worked.
Now I can't set a password?  So, thinking I'll fix it later, I go to create
my user and password for use with my PHPMyAdmin installation.  Because of
what that application does, it has to be a superuser.  I enter these
commands:

create user phpmyadmin identified by 'againnotreally!';
grant all on *.* to 'phpmyadmin' identified by 'againnotreally!';
flush privileges;

Or in all honesty, those are the commands that I was planning on entering,
but after the first one, I get this error:

Access denied; you need the CREATE USER privilege for this operation

At this point, I'm very confused.  I'm sure I've just missed something easy,
and I just need someone to say, "Hey stupid, you forgot this!"  Can anybody
give me a hand on this?  I would really appreciate it.

Mike