[BozemanLUG] Question..

Mike Stone mstone0802 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 14:22:57 MST 2009

Thanks for the response Scott.  I'm sorry I didn't include what I'm planning
on virtualizing.  The answer is, pretty much everything.  I do Linux,
Windows (my copy of Windows 7 beta just finished downloading), Solaris (or I
would if I could get it to run in a VM), FreeBSD, etc.  Pretty much anything
I'm feeling like at the time.  Linux is definitely going to be one of those,
but it's also definitely not going to be the only one.

The hard part of this is that I'm using workstation hardware, and none of it
especially new.  None of the hardware that I've looked at includes any kind
of virtualization in the CPU, which shoots down KVM.  I've never tried Xen,
but the versions of Xen that I've seen are either Server side, which
requires a client console interface (which I'm trying to avoid), or a
Workstation type application, which requires full installation of a base OS
like Linux or Windows.  Virtual Box is the same thing (and is what I'm
currently using).  VMWare Server is my next choice, but I don't like the way
that the guest OSs are accessed.  I'm probably going to be moving to VMWare
Server, or ESXi, or both (on seperate systems), but I was hoping that there
might be something else out there.

I'm not sure what I want even exists, but what I'm looking for is something
that is as low level as ESXi, but with no real interface software.  The
vision in my head is just a key combination to switch seemlessly between
multiple guest OSs.

Mike