[BozemanLUG] Fedora preupgrade

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Feb 27 09:42:29 MST 2009

David,

----- "David Eder" <david at eder.us> wrote:
> Anybody played with the preupgrade utility for Fedora?
>
> For those that don't know what it is at all, it's an upgrade of a
> live system.  I'm contemplating updating with it.

The only people I've seen talking about preupgrade where folks on Planet Fedora shortly after Fedora 10 first came out.  I don't know many Fedora users locally other than you and your brothers... and a few friends in Billings... who usually lag behind releases and go every other one or so.

As we discussed last meeting, I'm one of those folks who use every version and I do a fresh install... mainly because I've gotten good at retaining my data and putting it back... and have really streamlined the install process with the MontanaLinux respin.  If you like, I'll try and find time to build a Fedora 9 respin and then upgrade it to Fedora 10 with preupgrade.  It would have a lot of third party packages from rpmfusion so it would be a fairly easy yet fruitful test.

So far as your stuff goes... do a good backup (assuming you have somewhere you can rsync to) and then try it.  If the upgrade doesn't go well, you can revert back to the backup... but yeah... what a big time pit that would be.  I don't think you'd encounter any significant issues with the upgrade process... but it is always good to be prepared just in case.

As previously mentioned, I've done a lot of Fedora 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 upgrades on systems with relatively few packages installed... as a result of my working on contributed OpenVZ OS Templates... and I have yet to run into any upgrade issues.