[BozemanLUG] Beware: installing 32bit in a 64bit partitioned system

Lou Caudell llc_lug at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 21:49:51 MDT 2008

Just wanted to make all aware of this hazard, I wanted to added Ubuntu 8.x to my 250gb sata drive with Centos 5.x 64-bit as the primary OS and and w 2k in another.
When selecting the install partition I realized that I had not left room for a swap partition, so I backed out with out progressing past the partition/formatting screen. When the system came backup the 64-bit primary partition was gone, the win partition remained, and still boots. In short the Ubuntu partition utility progressed passed the point of no return without realizing that it could not correctly create a new partition inside of an existing 64bit system. At a minimum it should have bailed out when a 64-bit partitioning was detected, but it failed to even do that.  Fortunately, having done this many hundreds of times, my data was backed up.