[BozemanLUG] UnionFS

Mike Stone mstone0802 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 10:58:56 MDT 2008

It's really more of a user management solution than anything else.  We have
about 150-200 artists here at the company I work for that are responsible
for the graphics that go out on our machines.  These guys are pretty much
100% Photoshop 100% of the time.  They make big files, and lots of them.  In
the past, they realized that their storage needs outpaced pretty much
everybody else in the company, so they actually went out and bought their
own server with a ton of storage on it just for their own use.  The problem
comes in with getting the users to use the storage effectively.
Unfortunately, one of the artists setup the disks when it was first built,
so it's broken down into multiple partitions of not overly large amounts of
storage.  The users seem to want to use a single share (drive/partition) for
all their needs, and are constantly complaining that they're out of disk
space when the vast majority of the space isn't even touched.  What I'm
trying to do is transparently combine the multiple storage locations into a
single usable space without pain and agony (not the most melodramatic
description used, believe me) on the part of the artists.  I remembered
reading about UnionFS, but didn't know if it would solve our problem or
not.  I've messed around with it a bit since yesterday, and it seems pretty
cool.  I'm not sure we're going to be able to use it for the problem we're
having, since this company is almost exclusively Microsoft, and despite all
my efforts, I'm still having problems breaking Linux in here.  Regardless of
that, it's still got some pretty sweet features that I'll probably use at
home.

Mike