[BozemanLUG] Riverbed / WAAS appliances

Brian Vincent bvincent at moonlightbasin.com
Wed Mar 12 10:11:34 MDT 2008

We've been playing with Riverbed Steelhead products for the last few
weeks.  If you're not familiar with them, see http://www.riverbed.com
<http://www.riverbed.com/>  - they're a pretty neat product.

These things optimize network traffic and cache things locally so they
don't travel over a WAN link.  Right now we're seeing data reduction
rates around 40%.  That's pretty decent, but it's not a level of
performance that we can justify spending the money on; the total cost
from the vendor is quoted around $20,000 for 2 units.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of any canned Linux apps that
can do the same thing.  I know Squid could do http traffic, but we're
much more interested in optimizing CIFS and MAPI.  The Riverbed products
actually use a Linux kernel, so it's completely feasible someone else
has used the same kernel hooks to do the same magic.

Brian Vincent

Moonlight Basin Technology

bvincent at moonlightbasin.com

406-539-0569