[BozemanLUG] More followup - Using KVM

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Jun 6 12:20:04 MDT 2008

Greetings Again,

Opps, I forgot to mention... that I've been using KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel-based_Virtual_Machine) with Fedora 9 now that I have VT successfully turned on in the CPU.  I'm using it to run a Windows XP Pro SP3 box and it is very fast.  It seems quite a bit more responsive than VirtualBox and VMware Server... but perhaps it is the new machine and all of the newer hardware speeds that go with that.

Anyone else using KVM?  It was added to the mainline Linux kernel with version 2.6.20 (February of 2007) and has been maturing since then.  As I mentioned in my write up from the Linuxfest Northwest show, I got the impression from one of the Red Hat kernel developers that they hope to replace Xen with KVM at some point... as features are being added to the kernel that allow KVM to manage Xen machine images.  I really don't know how far along that is though.