[BozemanLUG] After meeting notes

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Jun 6 12:15:28 MDT 2008

Greetings,

Ok, so this isn't a complete after meeting notes... but I did have a few follow up things to mention.

KVM - During the meeting I was working on a Dell Optiplex 755 with a Core 2 vPro CPU in it... trying to turn on VT in the CPU.  I found out that it can be tricky to turn on VT successfully on some Dell machines... and the recommended fix was to reset the BIOS back to factory settings and then turn on only VT in the Performance section.  There are several settings related to VT but if any of the rest are turned on, it seems to not actually enable VT in the CPU.  I do have the latest BIOS from Dell.  Hopefully they'll fix that in the not too distant future with a BIOS update... but for now the workaround is there.

Inkscape - Someone was saying that they didn't think Inkscape worked very well.  That has not been my experience.  In fact it has been a real champ and I see the Fedora folks using it to produce most of their graphics for icons and desktop backgrounds etc.  I was curious as to what problems people have been having with Inkscape.  I've been using it for black and white line drawings of my labs and servers and I can't recall the last time it has crashed on me... in the last three years.