[BozemanLUG] July Meeting

David Eder david at eder.us
Wed Jul 30 15:46:14 MDT 2008

The settop is designed to filled the low-cost settop market with
downloadable security (as opposed to the expensive cable card).  The basic
idea is that you can buy a settop anywhere, plug it in, register it with
your cable company, download security code and middleware from your cable
company and be ready to watch TV.  The security system and middleware are
fully customizeable by the cable company and are hardware agnostic.  The
security system is written in VM code and the middleware is written in Lua
(http://lua.org).

The one I've been working with is based on the st7109 chip running ST
Linux (http://stlinux.com/), but in theory it could be any chip running
any OS.

David.

> David, can you mention a few details about your settop setup?
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:35 AM, David Eder <david at eder.us> wrote:
>> I can show off our settop project if you can scrounge up a TV with
>> composite inputs.
>>
>> David.
>>

>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> The July meeting will be tomorrow night... Thursday, July 31st... usual
>>> time (7PM)... and usual location (MSU Bozeman Campus, EPS Building room
>>> 259).
>>>
>>> I've was out of town from July 11-26... on a road trip to Memphis and
>>> back
>>> with the wife, kids, and in-laws in their RV.  We stayed at 8 different
>>> KOAs on our journey.  It is nice to be back home.
>>>
>>> This coming Saturday I fly to San Francisco for Linux World Conference
>>> and
>>> Expo, August 8th.  Thanks goes to Parallels (the corporate sponsor of
>>> the
>>> OpenVZ Project) for sponsoring my airfare and my brother-in-law for
>>> letting me stay with him while in San Francisco.  I'll be helping man
>>> the
>>> OpenVZ Project booth again.
>>>
>>> I get back from LWCE on Friday, August 8 and then I drive to Great
>>> Falls
>>> for a reunion of the 341st Missile Maintenance Squandron at Malmstrom
>>> Air
>>> Force Base on August 9-10.
>>>
>>> My birthday is Sunday, August 10th.  I turn 44.
>>>
>>> Now why did I say all of that?  Well, because I don't have a ready made
>>> presentation for the BozemanLUG meeting and I wanted to appear busy so
>>> you'd feel sorry for me and volunteer.  Anyone?
>>>
>>> TYL,
>>> --
>>> Scott Dowdle
>>> 704 Church Street